What often happens during a job interview is to be subjected to the question: “Why should we choose you and not another?”. During the selection phase, the young candidates are subjected to a set of questions designed to determine not only the presence of specific skills but, more importantly, the existence of the basic technical and professional but most of those that are the soft skills and personal resources. In a highly competitive working like the present, possess and demonstrate soft skills makes a difference, as they allow you to get a professional performance above average. The leadership of a company conceives the possession of these as the fertile soil in which a medium to long term to reap the benefits of a secure competitive advantage.
Were conducted several researches and experiments with the ultimate goal of identifying four major areas within which lists all the soft skills currently recognized:
- COGNITIVE-INTELLECTUAL SKILLS:
- Problem Solving: the ability to analyze and solve a problem.
- Innovation: being able to combine data in a different way nature homogenous developing new ideas and original solutions respecting the presence of data constraints.
- Collection and processing of information: it is the curiosity in having the right information to define a problem, generate new design ideas, improve management systems in place.
- CONSTRUCTION-MANAGEMENT SKILLS:
- Results Orientation: refers to the interest to work well and to measure with a standard of excellence that can be subjective, as the constant effort to improve their performance or objective, such as the commitment to achieve the goals assigned to maturity time.
- Spirit of initiative: the propensity to act by doing more than is required by the job or by the expectations regarding the role occupied in order to improve or refine the results, to avoid problems or create new opportunities. It can also be defined proactivity.
- Preparation of relationships: express themselves in written form being able to state the facts by focusing on the essential ones.
- Operational control: is the ability to monitor the progress of a project in comparison to the deadlines; verify that the data is complete, highlighting deficiencies or weaknesses.
- Operational flexibility: the ability to apply rules and procedures, adapting flexibly to situations that arise capturing the peculiarities of the ultimate goal of achieving the desired objective.
- SOCIAL SKILLS
- Availability interpersonal relationships: refers to the desire to understand others, to listen carefully and be sensitive to the concerns of others, even if not expressed and / or manifested. The interpersonal sensitivity is the basis of ability communicative and manifests itself through the understanding of the causes of attitudes and patterns of behavior and the problems of others and then through the ability to respond in an appropriate manner.
- Verbal communication: is the ability to express ideas clearly and effectively. Arise in this regard and the persuasiveness to influence your partner and have a specific effect on others. It can be considered the foundation of negotiation skills.
- Group work: it implies the desire to work in partnership with others, to be part of a group rather than working alone or in competition.
- Customer orientation: includes the desire to help or serve others, to meet their needs. It means to concentrate its energies on research for the satisfaction of customer needs.
- SKILLS PERSONAL EFFECTIVENESS
Self-control: is the ability to retain control of their emotions and avoid negative behaviors in the face of opposition and contrast to the hostility of others, or in stressful work situations.
If this is true, then, that those who are already in possession of such “soft skills” have before them paved the way for a prosperous career success, it is also true that these skills can be acquired over time. It is actually wanting to have a perspective of adaptation, working on themselves and on their personality. After all, the acquisition of a transversal competence does not have the sole purpose of being more attractive to the labor market but also to be able to improve their personal lives.